This castle was built originally - it is believed - by an O'Flaherty. It was then called kilfeynell Castle. In 1238AD it was rebuilt by de Staunton. In 1338AD the deStauntons changed their name to MacEvilly because of a disgrace as a result of their part in the murder of Edmond deBurgh.
In 1586 the castle was granted by deed to Captain William Bowen. In 1611AD it passed to Tibot na Long, son of Grainne Uaile. Tibot is buried in the sacristy of Ballintubber Abbey. The Bourkes sold the castle to Colonel John Brown towards the end of the 17th century. It was a substantial ruin until February 3rd 1990, when a large portion of the walls collapsed during a storm.