The castle was built some time between 1238AD and 1300Ad by deStaunton, one of the Anglo-Norman barons in the following of Richard de Burgo. The present remains consist of a three story tower standing in a strongly fortified lawn with one rounded corner turret. Much of the present building would appear to be of 15th century date, but it undoubtedly incorporates older fragments. The family who built it later took the name of MacEvilly and they held it until at least 1574. Some time after this the castle was surrendered to the Crown and it was granted to Captain William Bowen, whose family kept it until the Cromwellian period. After the restoration in 1660AD it was granted to Sir Henry Lynch in whose family it remained until the last century.